Monday, June 20, 2005

6/20/05 - Monday after Father's Day

We had another good Father's Day. On Saturday, Rich played in his summer league tournament. His team had won all their games all season and went on to win the tournament. They played in Mira Mesa. Zach and I attended the first game and then came home at noon. Rich went back and the games lasted until 5 p.m. or so.

On Sunday we started with breakfast. Zach helped me make waffles, enjoying cracking the egg into the bowl and helping to measure. He loves to stand on his chair and help cook. We then went off for a few chores and movies in the afternoon. Rich and Ira went off to see the new Star Wars film. Zach, Marie and I went to see Madagascar. I was not overly impressed with the movie but it was Zach's 2nd movie ever (the first being Polar Express) and he was of course in awe and loved being in the theater. He behaved extremely well and chowed down loads and loads of popcorn. He and I both made it through the movie without needing a potty break, in itself a miracle! Marie treated us to snacks and I had a large cherry icee, a current craving this pregnancy since early in the first trimester. :-)

Today has been quiet and I haven't been pushing myself. It is my cleaning day and I did some but far far less than usual. I have relaxed, run some errands and read while Zach napped. I finished up John Holt's How Children Learn. To be honest, I was not overly impressed, perhaps because I had unrealistic expectations due to all the hype. It was interesting in parts but repetitive and just not all that interesting to me, surprising as I usually love most homeschooling books and this one has quite a loyal following. I did enjoy his insights but I have read better books. I found his resistance to formal research outdated and narrow minded in terms of his dislike of laboratory testing to study brain research and so forth. While I agree on observation as a very valid method of learning, and probably better in the case of what he wanted to study, to declare laboratory methods as being without value I do not feel is correct. They also have much to teach us, but perhaps not the same things, at least at the same time or in the same manner. That gave me a negative start to the book but I finished nonetheless and am glad I did. There was still much to enjoy.

I think I am going to start on The Well-Trained Mind next by Jesie Wish and Susan Wise Bauer, something Holt would not agree with, to get a differing perspective. This also has a large and loyal following so I'm eager to read it and see for myself if I agree or not, or which parts would be applicable to Zach.

Today is Monday so tonight is story time at the library. Zach is very eager to go as the story teller on Monday nights is really wonderful with instruments and interaction. I like going too because Rich and I go together but Rich takes the larger responsibility for monitoring Zach, leaving me free to roam in the library, a privilege I rarely have and take advantage of! I also use this time to get the week's theme books for our themed schedule of Zach's learning. This week is birds so I hope to get a lot of science/nonfiction books applicable to his level. He likes to see real pictures. Last week's books on different transportation and machines were well received.

Marie has offered to take Zach Wednesday of this week for a special outing and I also look forward to that as I am tired easily as I near the end of pregnancy (week 32). I welcome the relief and he welcomes the chance to be with her and spend some fun time with her. I'm glad she lives nearby for that.

No comments: