Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A thought process of a 3-year-old

I forget sometimes how much is going on in the head of a 3-year-old. Really, it is fascinating. They have so many connections going on in their brains that adults just don't. Here is a funny one from yesterday I want to get down before I forget:

We are outside, I'm pulling weeds from the rose bushes and Noah is riding around the patio on his tricycle ....

NOAH: Mom?
ME: Yes?
NOAH: Do dinosaurs have butts?
ME: Well, dinosaurs don't exist anymore. But they did have butts I suppose.
NOAH: Oh, okay. Then dinosaurs rode bicycles?
ME: [pause] They could have ridden bicycles I guess if bicycles had been invented then.
NOAH: Okay.

This morning, one more serious but gives the idea his mind is always working:

NOAH: [studying the ketchup bottle] What does this say?
ME: [back turned to him doing something] Ketchup.
NOAH: [pause] K ... says kkkk [makes K sound, looks a bottle] ... doesn't say ketchup
ME: [surprised] Show me the bottle.
NOAH: [Shows it to me and points to the word]
ME: You are right, Noah. That says Hunts.

He is really reading better now and asks me all day what things say. I recall Zach doing this too at the same age as he started to read and was suddenly curious what every single sign, cereal box and book said. The 3s can be trying with tantrums, but it is amazing when I step back and realize how fast they are acquiring knowledge.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

That's great! May his reading continue to improve.

And, yes, dinosaurs had butts [smile]. Love it.

~Luke

Gayle said...

Hi Tanya,

Just wanted to let you know that you won the Lunapad contest. Just send me an e-mail with your mailing address and I'll forward it to the Lunapad company. Congratulations!

gaylebryant6(at)hotmail.com